Conversations about the future of education and research in the hospitality, tourism & event industries
The event was sponsored by DePaul University School of Hospitality Leadership
Theme and context
Technological developments impact all industries including tourism, hospitality, events and education, and it seems that this process has accelerated in the past months, which has brought both positive and negative impacts such as:
- How do these technologies (and what technologies) impact the industries we teach for, our research, and the way we teach?
- What does digital transformation do to our business models, organizational structures, operations, marketing & finance and how we work in hospitality, tourism and events?
- Will technological developments impact the way we do research, and what opportunities will big data, biometric research tools, AR/VR, new methods and software, etc. be offering us?
- Importantly, what about educational innovations, new ways of teaching, examining and assessing?
- Is there a role for AI in education?
- What are the best ways to reach out to alumni, to mitigate the drop in international student exchange (i.e., COIL), and to deal with the impact of having to teach online instead of in a traditional classroom setting?