Job Opening ›
BIHC (Boma International Hospitality College) was established in 2015 to address an increasing gap in the provision of qualified staff within the hospitality industry in Kenya and regionally. In 2016, BIHC partnered with the Business and Hotel Management School (BHMS), a world-class hospitality school in Luzern, Switzerland. This partnership paved the way for a dynamic educational and training approach that allows the undergraduate students to complete their 2-year diplomas in Hotel Management or Culinary Arts at our campus in Nairobi and their final bachelor year at BHMS in Switzerland.
The BIHC curriculum maintains a strong emphasis on Swiss educational traditions of balancing theoretical and practical training and this has made BIHC graduates the preferred candidates in the job market because from the onset, they perform beyond their employers’ expectations, thus saving employers, the time and money that is usually spent to train new employees. Our campus is located within the Boma Hotels complex and with an increase in demand for quality education throughout Africa, we take pride in offering world-class training and student life in a 5-star hotel environment.
BIHC is fully owned by the Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS)
Position Title: College Principal
Reporting to: Board of Directors
Job Location: Nairobi - Kenya
The Principal is directly responsible to the BIHC board of directors for meeting the College’s objectives and plans. He/She is responsible for providing Leadership, direction and coordination while overseeing the daily operations of the institution. He/She is responsible for promoting academic excellence and motivating instructional and support staff to strive for superior performance so as to provide the best possible opportunities for student growth and development. He/she is also responsible for the Budgets, financial and academic performance and management of the College.
- Responsible for the longer term planning and development of the College as contained in the College’s Strategic Plan covering academic and student matters.
- Preparing proposals to the Board about the educational character and mission of the College and its financial, Human Resources and physical resources and for implementing the decisions of the Board.
- Development and improvement of the College’s policies and procedures
- Effective and efficient management of financial and physical resources of the College.
- Preparing the annual budget for consideration and approval by the Board and the management of budget and resources within the estimates approved by the Board.
- Ensure proper and effective operation of financial, planning and management controls.
- Provides purposeful and sensitive organization, direction, and management of the College and leadership of all staff, teaching and non-teaching.
- Developing and administering the general Institutions routine and coordinate all activities within the College.
- Observing, counseling, and motivating professional staff toward performances to attain the defines academic goals.
- Development of course curriculums and continually evaluating existing programs and practices, curriculum content,
- Maintaining an educational philosophy and school climate which encourages a cooperative and participating attitude on the part of all Faculty and students.
- Maintaining a standard of student behavior designed to command respect and minimize college and classroom interruptions.
- Encouraging and initiating continued improvement in curriculum and teaching methods in cooperation with subject area specialists, and faculty.
- Identifying intellectual, physical, social and emotional needs affecting students’ success in college, and taking steps to direct and coordinate the efforts of faculty and parents.
- Review and authorize, all faculty staff requests for instructional materials and equipment within the approved budget
- Responsible for the appointment, assignment, grading, appraisal, suspension, discipline, dismissal of staff, in accordance with the BIHC policies and Procedures.
- Maintains effective arrangements with government education agencies particularly in the planning and monitoring of the academic work of the College.
- Promotes and enhances the reputation of the College, locally and internationally.
- Responsible for overall marketing and improving the brand of the organization to all stakeholders
- Responsible for initiating and building new and existing partnerships that are beneficial to the institution,
- Ensures that the College develops and maintains quality assurance systems to meet the inspection requirements of the ministry of education and to ensure that all work undertaken by the College is of the highest quality standards.
- Facilitates local and international partnerships that are of benefit to the College.
- Any other duties as may be assigned.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully developing and delivering strategic plans to ensure future institutions success
- Demonstrated people leadership and management skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation and partnership building skills for working in a complex multi stakeholder environment
- Ability and experience of developing and leading significant institutional change
- Commercial ability and success in generating institutional growth
- Excellent judgement with the ability to balance risks and opportunities
- Ability to resolve conflicts
- An absolute commitment to upholding the College Values. In particular, commitment:
- to prioritize the needs of students
- to act with integrity, authenticity & respect at all times
- to secure continuous improvement and excellence
- to focus on coaching and developing others to reach their full potential
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous personal development
- A PhD or equivalent with at least 10 years teaching experience at an institution of higher learning. 6 of which must be at a senior leadership role
- Demonstrate continuing professional development
- Commercial Abilities to run a business
- Sound knowledge and understanding of best practice locally and internationally in regards to teaching, learning, assessment and quality improvement
- Successful and motivational leadership, with an inclusive leadership style, and with experience of leading change
- Ability to develop and set strategic direction
- A deep understanding of, commitment to and involvement in hospitality Industry
- Successful record of developing and sustaining partnerships and networks with external organizations and other bodies locally and internationally
- Experience of enterprising and entrepreneurial practices to promote appropriate opportunities for the College
- Thorough understanding and experience of quality improvement processes in learning institutions
- Extensive knowledge and experience of education, higher Education and the issues and challenges facing the sector
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply strictly through firstname.lastname@example.org so as to reach us not later than Monday 16th March 2020.
Applications should be addressed to:
Board of Directors,
Boma International Hospitality College,
Nairobi - Kenya
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Job disclaimer and notification: BIHC is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge / accept any amount or security deposit from job seekers during the selection process or while inviting candidates for an interview.